Wednesday, April 2, 2014

Q: What's worse than a snake in the basement?

A: Knowing a snake is in the basement and not knowing where it went...

Wet basement
It is spring.  Finally the temperature has risen above 40 degrees and we have started to believe that it might, really, truly be the end of winter.

Spring at our house is also known as mud season.  The unpaved driveway becomes a big squelchy mess.  The basement floods. Today the water is trickling in, stream-like from the back of the house.  The sump pump is unfortunately at the other end.  The husband said "I have no idea how to fix this."

I said: "I need a boat to do the laundry (okay, perhaps just boots)!"

The next thing I know I am being summoned downstairs to "take a look at this."  That is never a good sign.  I usually need a camera.


Snake in the basement.
Apparently, the husband moved the wet/dry vacuum and found a little friend.  Living in the basement.  He is supposed to be hibernating, but I guess our basement is warm enough to wake him up.  According to Gartersnake.info, "If you don’t want snakes (or other animals) in your basement, this is probably a sign that you have some cracks or other openings in your house that need filling."  Gee, do you think so?

The bigger question is, what do we do with him?  It might be warm enough to release him outside.  Preferably far away from the house.  Maybe in the neighbors yard (just kidding).

I asked if this was the same snake that used to live in our kitchen (kitchen snake).  But that was a milk snake and this is a garter snake.  Duh!  And you wonder why I have nightmares.


No comments:

Post a Comment