Tuesday, June 24, 2014

Thy middle name is demolition

My Partner in Crime...

Demo Day Two...

This summer I have been told that I have to increase my home renovation contributions.  Apparently blogging, documenting and picking paint colors aren't helping the timeline.  So, unfortunately I will be getting my hands dirty this summer.  Very dirty.

This is my partner in crime.  No we are not surgeons.  If we were, I assure you we would pay someone to do our dirty work!

Here are photos of the second day of demolition...
Fun with the Sawzall

The Electrician baffled by the circuitry...

Unfortunately you really can't get a good sense of how gross this is.  So here are some dead things that fell out of the wall.

The bathroom was added in 1973.  Space was carved out of the two bedrooms.  

Removing the wall between the bathroom and Cassie's bedroom.

Another shot from the bedroom of the now-exposed bathroom.

The bedroom/bathroom.  Not sure how my foot got in there...

The bathroom when there were some walls left...

The view from the hallway...

The highlights...

  • When the husband tells you a circuit is dead, NEVER believe him.  
  • When you gut 100+ year old outer walls, be prepared for a shower of mice feces and unidentifiable skeletons...Also the occasional intact mouse (dead and mummified).  WEAR A FACE MASK!
  • Be prepared to vacuum and mop at least 100 times to get rid of the dust.  Then demo again.  
The daughter is not impressed by her new bedroom/bathroom combo.  She is plotting to move in with the neighbors for the summer.  She said "How am I supposed to get dressed?"  "How are people supposed to shower?"  "This is disturbing".  Wait until she sees the new (temporary) outdoor shower on the back porch (coming soon)...she may just give up bathing for the summer...


No comments:

Post a Comment