Sunday, February 24, 2013

Office - 97 Percent completed....

The white pine floor has been refinished and it came out beautifully. We removed the previous dark brown paint/stain and opted not to re-stain or paint and just poly.

[caption id="attachment_1039" align="alignleft" width="450"]028 Starting first coat of polyurethane on sanded floors.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1040" align="alignleft" width="450"]029 The poly really brings out the grain and color of the old floors. They were pretty dry and soaked up quite a bit.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1041" align="alignleft" width="450"]048 The final coat... three coats of satin finish were applied and sanded in between.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1053" align="alignleft" width="450"]060 Priming and painting the baseboard trim and door and window trim. We found Maki to be the best source for trim, they have what we need in stock and were very helpful. We used poplar which was cheaper than the clear pine and since we were painting the woodwork it made sense to go that route.[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1058" align="alignleft" width="450"]072 Trimming out the window. I broke the wooden grills and I tried to get a replacement, but they sent the wrong size. At some point I need to bring the broken ones to Home Depot and see if we can order a replacement...[/caption]

[caption id="attachment_1066" align="alignleft" width="450"]080 The finished floor and walls and almost finished trim.[/caption]

This room has been a bit more time consuming than we anticipated, but no real surprise there, pretty much par for the course. Some challenges:

  • trying to reset the door and then realizing that the door NEVER fit.   They put a 30" door on a 29.5" frame. I think we are going to shave it down a bit to make it fit now that things are leveled...

  • picking all the crud that had settled between the floor board gaps and decided to get out what we could, but not go too crazy...

  • Trying to put 1/4" quarter-round where the floor meets the baseboard and realizing that one wall was so out of plumb that it wouldn't cover the gap...  Talked husband into using 1/2" on those two walls instead of trying to plane the baseboard to fit flush and run the risk of it looking like it didn't match the other wall (the height would be lower in some spots).

So now, what's left...

  • cutting the door to fit, sanding, re-painting, replacing hardware and re-hanging

  • reordering window grilles...trying to get the measurements right and painting and installing those

  • finding a ceiling fixture

  • trying to get husband to build a built-in bookcase...

  • moving Internet line

  • hooking TV back up

  • etc...